- It is a day set aside to highlight the importance of good menstrual hygiene
- It was initiated by a German based NGO, WASH UNITED
- The 28TH day was selected to acknowledge that 28 days is the average length of the menstrual cycle.
OBJECTIVES OF THE MENSTRUAL HYGIENE DAY
- To address the challenges and hardships many women and girls are facing during their menstruation
- To highlight positive and innovative solutions being taken to address these challenges
- To catalyse a growing global movement that recognizes and supports girl’s and women’s rights and build partnerships among those partners on national and local level
- To engage in policy dialogue and actively advocate for the integration of menstrual hygiene management into global, national and local policies and programs. (Bax Tahmeena, 28th May 2014)
OVIWCE is an organization that is concerned with women and girls’ affairs as well as their rights. Therefore, OVIWCE initiated the She Needs A Pad Project (S.N.A.P.P) The project was borne from the vision to educate young girls on menstrual hygiene and how to sustain it. Presently, OVIWCE OYO Chapter are paying a visit to Oba ile in Osun State to donate sanitary towels as well as sensitize young girls on the importance of menstrual hygiene.
You can also support this project by donating a token of at least 500naira to any of the accounts below:
ZENITH BANK– 1016000464
For further details about menstrual hygiene, you can check our previous article on ‘Let’s talk about menstrual hygiene’